|Fees||Look up fees|
Students will be introduced to more complex elements and functions of the language which will enable them to read and engage with authentic texts of moderate complexity ranging from advertisements, personal and formal letters and emails through newspaper articles and informative texts to biographies, which will allow them not only to internalise vocabulary and structures but also to gain a better understanding of the historical, intellectual and spiritual currents informing present-day Arab society and culture. The various audio-visual activities, accessed through the course DVDs, the LMS program and the Internet, will further develop students’ listening comprehension and help maintain and augment existing knowledge of vocabulary and structures. Knowledge gained through developing reading and listening skills will be conducive to activating vocabulary and structures, and students will be able to see their progress through the varied writing and speaking activities offering plenty of opportunities for communication.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- have started reading unvocalised texts, and have developed the ability to read and interact with a variety of Arabic text types (e.g. advertisements, personal and formal letters, short biographies, newspaper articles, tour itineraries, brochures and informative texts;
- have acquired some important grammatical structures of the Arabic language along with an understanding of their functions, and the ability to use these effectively to construct meaning and to engage in written and oral communication;
- have developed the ability to produce personal and informative texts by writing accounts of personal experiences, personal and formal letters, descriptions and biographies of moderate complexity;
- have developed the ability to understand short stretches of discourse on familiar topics and to extract information from oral presentations slower than normal speed;
- have learnt about some modern & historical cultural issues and trends in the Arab World and about the work and achievements of some Arab poets, writers and thinkers.
Last updated: 6 December 2019