|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 3|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This is a reading subject for students who have completed Arabic 9 or equivalent. Readings will be selected in consultation with the student in the first week of the semester and should be completed in line with the guidelines provided to the student. At least 80% of the readings should be in Arabic. Focus will be on one area of Arabic studies, either linguistics or a specific area of Arab culture. Students enrolling in this subject should be able to undertake a small-scale research project in Arabic linguistics or in a specific area of Arab culture and present the findings in a scholarly manner.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- have developed the ability to read, understand, analyse & discuss substantial amounts of complex Arabic texts of Arabic linguistics or on specific aspects of Arab culture;
- have developed a good understanding of a small specific area of Arabic linguistics or of Arab culture;
- have developed the skills to identify relevant materials & analyse these systematically;
- have developed the ability to create & follow an independent work program, working without explicit guidance;
- have developed the ability to undertake a small-scale research project in Arabic linguistics or a specific area of Arab culture;
- have developed the ability to discuss complex linguistic or cultural phenomena in an academic framework;
- have developed the ability to present the findings in a scholarly manner & to present research in an academic format.