|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 3|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject provides a series of specialised modules in the areas of organic, inorganic and physical chemistry.
Students choose three modules from the following selection of topics. Each module consists of 12 lectures.
- Physical Organic Chemistry,
- Methods in Organic Synthesis,
- Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry,
- Computational Chemistry,
- Supramolecular and Structural Inorganic Chemistry
- Metal Ions in Biology and Medicine
Intended learning outcomes
Students should develop an advanced perspective on theory and applications across the disciplines of Chemistry. They should obtain problem-solving skills and training in chemistry sufficient to allow them to pursue careers in applied chemistry and chemicals-based research. In the latter case, students should obtain the chemical knowledge needed to be able to complete successfully the honours/masters coursework.
This subject will provide opportunities to enhance the following generic skills:
- the ability to comprehend complex concepts and to communicate this understanding;
- the ability to analyse and solve abstract and technical problems;
- an awareness of advanced technologies in the discipline of chemistry;
- the ability to think and reason logically;
- the ability to think critically and independently.