|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is designed for students to develop their ability of communicating in Chinese at a beginning-advanced level and their analytical skills of the Chinese language through engaging with a range of topics concerning contemporary Chinese society and culture. Student’s linguistic competence will be enhanced through exposure to Chinese materials dealing with a variety of socio-cultural situations, writing and presenting opinion pieces on current issues in Chinese, and participating in group discussions. Study activities will be supported with linguistic and cultural resources, including background information in brief English passages, along with video, audio and additional reading materials introducing the cultural topics.
This subject will allow students to have a better understanding of Chinese cultural practices. They will be more competent in communicating in Chinese on a variety of topics in both spoken and written forms.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should:
- Be able to make a short presentation in Chinese on a selected number of subjects
- Be able to write a short essay in Chinese on themes related to students' own social and cultural interests
- Be able to function in Chinese in a selected number of situations
- Develop some general correspondence skills
- Develop contextual and cultural awareness for intercultural communication
- Have a vocabulary of approximately 1150 characters
- Acquire general knowledge of key social and cultural phenomena as the basis for a better global awareness.
- Be able to recognize, value, and learn from cultural differences
- Acquire written communication skills through essay writing and seminar discussion
- Acquire public speaking skills through tutorial discussion and class presentations
- Acquire skills of time management and regular investment of effort as the foundation for advanced levels of competence.
Last updated: 22 November 2023