|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is designed for students to develop their ability to communicate in Chinese at a beginning-advanced level and their analytical skills of the Chinese language through engaging with a range of topics concerning contemporary Chinese society and culture. Their linguistic competence will be further enhanced through exposure to Chinese materials dealing with a variety of socio-cultural situations, writing and presenting opinion pieces on current issues in Chinese, and participating in group discussions. Study activities will be supported with linguistic and cultural resources, including background information in brief English passages, as well as video, audio and additional reading materials introducing the cultural topics.
This subject will allow students to gain confidence and independence in handling written Chinese language materials so as to make the transition from textbook material to original Chinese texts.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the subject, students will:
- have acquired grammar and analytical skills at this proficiency level;
- be able to make a short presentation in Chinese on a selected number of subjects;
- develop some general correspondence skills;
- have a vocabulary of approximately 1300 characters;
- build on foundational knowledge of structural patterns to manage complex bodies of new information;
- be able to recognize the indispensability of accuracy in communication while dealing with increasing quantities of information;
- acquire general knowledge of key social and cultural phenomena as the basis for a heightened global awareness.
- show attention to detail through guided reading and writing;
- acquire general written communication skills through essay writing and seminar discussion;
- acquire foundational public speaking skills through tutorial discussion and class presentations;
- acquire time management and planning skills through organizing workloads for various learning tasks.
Last updated: 15 May 2020