|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will provide an understanding of your university studies within Victorian schools through a substantial school based experience.
The subject includes a placement of 20 hours within a Victorian school classroom, offering an opportunity to collaborate as a Tertiary Student Assistant (TSA) under the guidance of a qualified teacher.
The subject is structured to provide a school experience for students in one of two main streams:
- Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences including Languages (HASS)
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths (STEM)
The TSA placement is supplemented by university-based workshops that will provide insight into the Victorian school system, contemporary approaches to teaching and learning as well as current issues in education.
Placement settings are arranged by MGSE and placement hours can be negotiated by students with their supervising teacher.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students will:
- demonstrate a greater understanding of issues related to the learning area as demonstrated through the TSA experience;
- appreciate the diversity of students within different schools and the impact of this on student learning;
- have a greater awareness of the complexity of issues impacting education and schools;
- appreciate how schools and education systems contribute to society;
- demonstrate improved self-reflection and practical skills.
This subject requires students to demonstrate and improve a range of generic skills. Students will:
- be able to effectively manage themselves, their time and their skills to complete a workplace project through more highly developed planning and organising skills;
- be able to use effective interpersonal and communication skills through interaction with a range of diverse colleagues, supervisors, and students;
- demonstrate improved analytical, problem-solving, research, and report-writing skills through dealing with and incorporating into their reports, a range of issues that emerge within their placement;
- develop an awareness of the legal and ethical frameworks of schools and the education sector.
Last updated: 21 February 2020