Semester 1 (Early-Start)
|Look up fees
In this subject students will explore and understand the ideas that shape practice-based research in the contemporary arts education through the examination of practice and evaluation as artmaker and practitioner. Educators from a range of educational settings will engage in personal artful inquiry to develop a body of work as a method for exploring the identities and practices of artist, researcher, teacher and artist-teacher. These multiple perspectives and identities will be evaluated through ongoing reflective practice, collaborative discussion and associated readings in practice based research that explore beliefs concerning the relationship and associated tensions of being artmaker and being teacher. Artistry, artful inquiry and associated personal dialogue, will be documented, critiqued and analysed through critical reflective practice, and evaluated in an iterative cycle both within the class and through regular contributions to a discussion forum. Students will present and perform arts based research, and submit an accompanying exegesis that positions their practice in educational settings.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Apply a critical and evaluative lens to the processes and skills involved in art-making and articulate that understanding using the principles of reflective practice that inform creative practices.
- Apply specialised theoretical understanding and knowledge of current arts based educational research and create a practice based work (visual or performance based) that explores personal professional practice in educational settings.
- Critically analyse educational theories and apply multidisciplinary arts based educational research to develop a creative project that explores the tensions between art, research and teaching.
- Critical reasoning and thinking
- Problem solving
- Evidence based decision making
- Creativity and innovation
- Teamwork and professional collaboration
- Self-reflection, career awareness and lifelong learning
- Active and participatory citizenship.
Last updated: 10 February 2024