|Look up fees
This subject is concerned with improving the learning outcomes for students in primary and secondary schools in selected mathematical topics. Diagnostic assessments and common student misconceptions will be discussed. Pedagogical content knowledge and teaching strategies will be considered, drawing on a range of resources. Effective practices for differentiating instruction which meets the requirement to challenge and extend all students will be examined.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Use evidence-based research to inform pedagogical strategies;
- Demonstrate knowledge of student thinking for some central topics in school mathematics; and
- Critically analyse theoretical and practical knowledge to inform differentiated instruction.
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Problem solving
- Evidence based decision making
- Creativity and innovation
- Teamwork and professional collaboration
- Self-reflection, career awareness and lifelong learning
- Active and participatory citizenship
Last updated: 10 February 2024