|Look up fees
This subject explores the content and pedagogical content knowledge needed to teach Number in the Number and Algebra strand in Years 7-10 Mathematics, including number and place value, fractions, decimals, real numbers, money and financial arithmetic. The role of multiplicative reasoning in both Number and across the curriculum will be emphasised. Current challenges, issues and opportunities in teaching Number will be addressed.
Participants will study research on students’ mathematical understanding and effective teaching methods. Methods of identifying learners’ special needs and differentiating teaching will be a focus. Research and practice on promoting conceptual change through cognitive conflict and targeted discussion will be reviewed. Development of the proficiencies of fluency, understanding, reasoning and problem solving will be considered in the context of Number. Practical teaching tasks will complement theory.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) for teaching Number across Years 7-10 mathematics
- Critically evaluate and reflect on research related to students' learning in Number
- Select appropriate teaching strategies to differentiate teaching in Years 7-10 mathematics to meet specific needs of students
- Be able to design lesson plans and learning sequences in Years 7-10 Number
- Use and interpret formative assessment data to diagnose students' understanding in Number
- Evidence based decision making
- Creativity and innovation
- Learning to learn and metacognition
- Reflection for continuous improvement
- Linking theory and practice
Last updated: 10 February 2024