|Fees||Look up fees|
This course will explore the comparative stylistics of French and English from a theoretical as well as a practical perspective. It will consist of lectures on the methodology of translation from French to English followed by tutorials where it will be put into practice. Students will explore aspects of literary, technical and official translation and their application in today’s world.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- be able to understand the mechanics of translation in general and from French into English in particular;
- be able to demonstrate their ability to translate several types of text from French into English;
- have expanded on their knowledge and mastery of French and English linguistic components for a better comprehension and rendering of literary, technical and official texts;
- have been introduced to some of the theory of translation through a study of comparative stylistics.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- have developed skills in critical thinking and analysis;
- have developed attention to detail through close reading and analysis of texts;
- have developed an underestanding of the relationship between language systems.
Last updated: 15 May 2020