|Fees||Look up fees|
In this subject students will improve their cultural literacy in German by engaging with the topic of “Myth” from different perspectives. Myths represent historically and culturally significant events that are of great relevance for the societies they evolve in. Students will engage with a variety of myths through different media: they will develop more advanced reading skills by working with authentic material such as literary and journalistic texts and further improve their listening skills through the use of audio-visual and digital media. The written and oral analysis of these media will create an in-class discourse throughout the semester that allows students to improve communicative skills in relation to contemporary and historical issues and expand students' proficiency in both written and spoken language. They will learn to use more complex grammatical structures and develop terminology typical for academic texts and discourses.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Understand complex spoken German occurring in a range of audio-visual media and to engage with the content
- Interpret and analyse written literary and journalistic texts and digital media of a high level of complexity
- Deploy more specialised vocabulary and complex grammatical structures
- Use analytical and expository language to produce written and oral discourse about historical and contemporary topics
- Develop understanding of specialist terminology and grammatical structures to engage with German academic texts and discourses.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- Have improved research skills to find information from various sources
- Have improved communication skills in German through seminar discussion
- Have improved intercultural competency
- Have improved digital literacy
- Have developed the ability to engage with a topic from different perspectives and apply acquired knowledge of the topic to individual aspects.
Last updated: 22 November 2023