|Fees||Look up fees|
In this subject student will further develop cultural literacy in German by engaging with the topic of “War” from different perspectives with a focus on German speaking societies. Wars have shaped societies for centuries and often have long lasting effects that still influence our presence and have been a source of inspiration for writers and artists whose works are still relevant today. Students will approach the topic through different media: they will consolidate advanced reading skills by working with authentic material such as literary and journalistic texts and further improve their listening skills through the use of audio-visual and digital media. The written and oral analysis of these media will create an in-class discourse throughout the semester that allows students to further improve communicative skills in relation to contemporary and historical issues and expand students' proficiency in both written and spoken language. They will learn to use more complex grammatical structures and develop terminology typical for academic texts and discourses.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Understand complex spoken German occurring in a range of audio-visual media and to engage with the content
- Interpret and analyse written literary and journalistic texts and digital media of a high level of complexity
- Deploy more specialised vocabulary and complex grammatical structures
- Use analytical and expository language to produce more complex written and oral discourse about historical and contemporary topics
- Demonstrate an understanding of specialist terminology and grammatical structures to engage with German academic texts and discourses.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- Have further improved research skills to find information from various sources
- Have further improved communication skills in German through seminar discussion
- Have further improved intercultural competency
- Have further improved digital literacy
- Have consolidated the ability to engage with a topic from different perspectives and apply acquired knowledge of the topic to individual aspects.
Last updated: 22 November 2023