|Look up fees
In this subject students extend their German competencies in writing, reading, speaking and listening by engaging with authentic texts and situations on the theme of “Gender”. We explore gender as a linguistic, social and cultural phenomenon in modern and contemporary German-speaking societies. Students will engage with the complexity of authentic texts such as film and television, literature, song and conventional and social media. Students will learn to communicate at a more sophisticated level, going beyond utterances focused exclusively on the self, and developing structures and vocabulary that enable them to express themselves in the context of broader social and cultural themes. Students will move towards a moderate level of complexity in speaking, aural comprehension, reading and writing of German and a familiarity with the linguistic and socio-cultural dimensions of gender.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Read more sophisticated texts and to practice and augment accurate writing skills
- Use a wider range of vocabulary about people and places including language about historical and contemporary themes; use more complex grammatical structures including a greater range of tenses, cases and modes
- Comprehend more complex spoken German, including authentic spoken German of diverse varieties
- Develop a differentiated and informed understanding of self and other and of gender as an element of identity, as well as in its cross-cultural and linguistic dimensions
- Speak with increased fluency and accuracy using more nuanced vocabulary.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- Apprehend and appreciate features of the interaction of language and identity
- Have developed an openness to the world and an awareness of cultural and historical contexts
- Have acquired time management and planning skills through managing and organising workloads
- Have developed analytical skills, learning strategies and the ability to process, organise and integrate information
- Be able to utilise online tools to improve their comprehension and expression in German, while understanding how to manage academic integrity within the online environment.
Last updated: 20 February 2024