To learn more, visit 2023 Course and subject delivery.
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject focuses on advanced modern literary texts, including study of contemporary Hebrew writers in prose and poetry, modern conversational idiom, and newspaper and academic articles. Students further extend their competencies in writing, reading, speaking and listening by engaging with authentic texts and situations. In this subject, Students will engage with authentic texts that deal with past and present themes of increasing complexity and that are of significance to Israeli and Jewish Culture. Students also acquire advanced linguistic structures that allow them to express with greater complexity their own experiences, aspirations and views.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who successfully complete this subject will:
- understand a greater level of formal spoken Hebrew that is of moderate complexity on a variety of topics that are related to Hebrew speaking communities, including particular topics of their choosing;
- enhance and increase their linguistic competence by frequent practise of the Hebrew language in tandem with regular study of linguistic structures;
- express themselves accurately on a range of issues in formal and informal settings and develop their spoken, written and comprehension skills;
- have further developed their reading skills and understanding of advanced scientific and academic articles and essays, enriching their knowledge of the modern idiom written and spoken in Israel today;
- use a far greater scope and range of vocabulary relating to contemporary Israeli and Hebrew culture and be familiar with particular and specialised terms and vocabulary associated with important literary, linguistic and cultural aspects of Israeli and Jewish society;
- deploy more complex linguistic structures to speak and write about events in the past from different perspectives and express opinions, ambitions and intentions;
- interpret and analyse texts and genres of a moderate level of complexity.
Last updated: 8 August 2023