Semester 1 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject focuses on the detailed analysis of contemporary literary Hebrew texts drawn from the canon of Israeli prose and poetry, intending to deepen students’ familiarity with a range of registers and styles. In addition, there are continuous oral and written practical exercises using modern conversational idiom and newspaper and academic articles that allow students to obtain advanced linguistic structures that imbues them with the proficiency to articulate with greater complexity their own experiences, aspirations, and opinions. By tackling authentic texts that explore themes of increasing complexity and that are of significance to Israeli and Jewish culture, students will further augment proficiencies acquired in previous Hebrew subjects, including their written and oral production skills and the competency to discuss literary and non-literary texts.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Analyse contemporary literary Hebrew texts drawn from the canon of Israeli prose and poetry;
- Deepen students' familiarity with a range of registers and styles and their ability to analyse newspapers, magazines and specialist texts;
- Demonstrate proficiency in using modern conversational Hebrew and advanced linguistic structures in intercultural discourse;
- Employ advanced vocabulary and complex linguistic and grammatical structures to express opinions and feelings;
- Use written and oral production skills to discuss literary and non-literary texts about historical and contemporary subjects.
- Possess a grasp of social, historical and cultural of how language is employed in Hebrew speaking communities
- Have acquired the knowledge to articulate ideas through the medium of essay and class presentations
- Have developed analytical skills, critical thinking and independent learning
- Be able to effectively to manage assignment schedules, and recommended reading, essay and preparations for exams
- Have obtained skills in intercultural analysis.
Last updated: 21 November 2023