For information on winter intensives that are being delivered partially or fully on campus, please refer to the COVID-19 page.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject focuses on the spoken and written language and culture of present dayItaly. Students will undertake regular activities in order to improve their linguistic and cultural skills. They will also participate in regular conversation practice for the purpose of reinforcing their command of current idiomatic Italian. Students will explore aspects of contemporary Italian culture and language, through a critical analysis of a variety of texts and documents (including films, music, mass media and literature). By the end of the subject, students should have improved their written production skills and should be able to express themselves with fluency on most topics of a general nature.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- be able to interpret and analyse a variety of genres, including literary texts, and film, in Italian, directly relevant to Italian-speaking social and cultural contexts;
- have developed an increasing capacity in using language structures and resources, in order to communicate effectively in Italian both in writing and speaking;
- be able to apply research methods across different media for analysis and interpretation;
- have developed an increasing understanding of the diversity of Italian language and culture;
- have developed an increasing ability to compare and contrast linguistic and cultural similarities and differences between Italian language and culture and other languages and cultures;
- be able to apply a variety of learning techniques across tasks and contexts to consolidate knowledge, and ability in relation to Italian language and culture;
- be able to work in an effective manner in an Italian-speaking context both individually and cooperatively.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- have an understanding of social, political, historical and cultural contexts and international awareness of the world;
- be able to communicate knowledge intelligibly and economically: through essay and assignment writing, tutorial discussion and class presentations;
- have improved analytical skills through essay and assignment preparation and writing.
Last updated: 16 June 2020