|Fees||Look up fees|
The honours thesis in Italian provides students with the opportunity to develop research techniques and to benefit from the experience of researching and writing an independent thesis on a topic of their choice. The thesis is normally written in Italian but special permission may be obtained from the Head of the Italian Section for the thesis to be written in English. The main areas of specialisation are Italian linguistics, Italian cinema and cultural studies. Italian literature from the Middle Ages to the present. It is also possible to negotiate theses on other topics with the permission of the coordinator after consultation with the appropriate lecturer.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- Have understood and applied the relevant research methods in their chosen field of Italian studies
- Have achieved the level of linguistic and methodological competency required for postgraduate studies in Italian
- Have demonstrated their ability to do guided research at Honours level.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- Be able to demonstrate research skills through competent use of the library and other information sources
- Be able to show critical thinking and analysis through recommended reading, essay writing and tutorial discussion, and by determining the strength of an argument
- Be able to demonstrate understanding of social, ethical and cultural context through the contextualisation of judgements, developing a critical self-awareness, being open to new ideas and possibilities and by constructing an argument.
Last updated: 14 November 2023