|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject offers students the opportunity to research and write stories in various styles, which will be considered for publication on The Citizen, the flagship publication of Centre Advancing Journalism.
Students will be required to bring story ideas to regular news conferences for discussion and debate. They will be expected to liaise closely with the editors of The Citizen as they refine their ideas and settle on specific reporting assignments. There will be opportunities for workshopping stories and for collaboration with fellow students, as well as instruction on how best to present their material. The goal will be to produce a body of work of publishable standard.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate high level journalistic skills;
- Work efficiently in teams and newsroom environments; and
- Reflect on their journalistic practice.
At the completion of this subject, students should gain the following generic skills:
- High level ability to analyse writing techniques and affects; and
- High level ability to express thoughts, ideas and observations in accessible written English.