Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will be delivered online in 2020 over the scheduled dates.
Bidding for and managing major events have become a significant part of the sporting and cultural scene in Australia and internationally, attracting the interest of governments and major businesses. Australia, and Melbourne in particular, are recognised for their leadership in this growing segment of the entertainment industry, with Melbourne repeatedly winning the title of the world‘s ‘Ultimate Sports City‘. Most recently, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused significant disruption to the staging of major events and particularly to international and national sporting competitions. This subject provides students with an applied approach to the legal aspects of staging major events from beginning to end, including an examination of the implications of the evolving COVID-19 crisis for events. The lecturer has worked in the industry and brings to the subject strong practical experience and expertise in sports law.
Principal topics will include the legal aspects of:
- Event ownership
- Event procurement, including bidding processes and government support
- Role of host organisations and promoters
- Commercial arrangements, including broadcasting, sponsorship, corporate hospitality and merchandising
- Venue hire
- Role of federal and state governments, including special-purpose legislation, policing and security, traffic and transport, public health, and business and tourism development programs
- Ticketing and accreditation, including sale and distribution methods, and terms and conditions
- Brand protection and anti-infringement strategies
- Risk and incident management.
Intended learning outcomes
A student who has successfully completed this subject will:
- Possess a general knowledge of the nature of event management in Australia and internationally
- Understand the role of the event owner, host organisation, promoter and government in procuring and staging major events in Australia
- Understand the legal structure for, and laws relating to, event management in Australia
- Be able to engage in informed debate over the sufficiency of those laws to serve the interests of key stakeholders.
Last updated: 11 February 2021