Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
|Fees||Look up fees|
The Australian states and territories levy various taxes on businesses and individuals, including payroll tax, land tax, duties on transfers and acquisitions, leases and workers’ compensation levies. Interpreting and complying with this multitude of taxes, only some of which are harmonised across state borders, poses significant challenges for Australian businesses and state revenue agencies alike. Many jurisdictions are enacting more comprehensive anti-avoidance and business entity rules in key state taxes - for example, those applying to trusts or corporate groups - and there is increasing litigation on state taxes in courts around the country. This subject will provide tax professionals with an advanced knowledge of the structure and practical operation of state taxes and duties in a commercial context, taking account of the most recent trends and developments in this field.
This subject will consider in detail the operation of various state taxes and duties, in particular:
- Land tax
- Payroll tax and workers’ compensation levies.
Principal topics include:
- Analysis of duties, land tax, payroll tax and workers’ compensation levies legislation in Victoria and brief comparisons with other jurisdictions
- Consideration of Victorian duty liabilities on various dutiable transactions, landholder acquisitions and other business and commercial transactions
- Consideration of the key features and concepts relevant to how land tax is assessed in Victoria
- Consideration of the types of compensation that are subject to payroll tax and/or workers’ compensation levies
- The broad range of anti-avoidance provisions
- Exemptions from state taxes, duties and levies
- Administration of the state taxes system, including obligations to provide information and rights to object to assessments and appeal.
Intended learning outcomes
A student who has successfully completed this subject should have an advanced understanding of the structure and practical operation of various state taxes and duties, including in particular:
- The operation of the Victorian duties legislation on dutiable transactions,
- The operation of the Victorian land tax legislation and its implications for different owners of land
- The structure of the payroll tax and workers' compensation levies and their implications for different labour arrangements.
Last updated: 11 February 2021