Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 2 - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is an introduction to basic concepts and methods of syntactic analysis and description. Emphasis is on practical analysis and description of a wide range of phenomena from a variety of languages. Students should become familiar with topics such as constituent structure, syntactic categories, grammatical functions (interface with morphology), thematic relations (interface with semantics), word order, multi-clausal constructions, including complement clauses, relative clauses and clause linking, and unbounded dependencies.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should have:
- broadened and be able to apply skills in syntactic analysis and description of a wide range of phenomena from a variety of languages;
- attained practical knowledge of several theoretical models of syntax;
- engaged with current theoretical debates in syntax;
- deepened their understanding of social and cultural diversity;
- participated in individual and group-based problem-solving activities within and outside the classroom;
- developed their ability to think creatively in evaluating novel linguistic data and attempting to find the best description and explanation for them;
- made wide use of learning and research technologies (LMS, Library);
- further honed their abilities in written and verbal argumentation and logical expression through assessment activities and tutorial discussion.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- have acquired skills in critical thinking and analysis;
- have acquired skill in thinking in theoretical terms;
- have developed skills in thinking creatively in evaluating and formulating analyses;
- have developed skills in observation and attention to detail;
- have developed skills in communicating knowledge intelligibly and economically.
Last updated: 27 October 2021