Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Winter Term - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This course covers a diverse range of topics related to the operation and design of helicopters. Civilian and military operators are increasingly using helicopters for a variety of applications. In certain roles helicopters offer numerous advantages over fixed-wing aircraft by meeting the growing needs of multi-dimensional flight including hover. The unique roles and missions of helicopters introduce several design issues and challenges for the design engineer to address.
Helicopter design is governed by the role, missions, payload, mission systems (internal or external) and the flight profile. This requires an understanding of helicopter operations; of mission systems technologies to provide the mission capability; and of aerodynamics to provide the flight performance.
Through the subject, students will be able to transform helicopter system operational requirements to design requirements; and be able to apply helicopter conceptual design stages. As an exercise, the students will develop a conceptual design of a helicopter, based on the proposed role of the helicopter and mission requirements.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject students will:
- Have the skill to apply fundamental concepts to perform preliminary design and assessment of performance for an overall helicopter design.
- Be able to recognise the challenges associated with helicopters and related technology and appreciate the broad applicability of engineering concepts within mechanical and aerospace engineering.
- Be able to identify the key parameters affecting helicopter performance.
- The skills to design helicopter components using preliminary design tools.
- The ability to apply knowledge of science and engineering fundamentals
- The ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution
- The ability to utilise a systems approach to complex problems, design and operational performance
- The ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solutions.
Last updated: 4 September 2021