|Year of offer||2018|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject examines the factors affecting the purchase, usage and disposal of products and services. Topics include the introduction and application of customer behaviour concepts to marketing decision making; consumer behaviour models of information processing; the identification of psychological variables which influence customer decision making; social factors affecting consumer behaviour; and an introduction to a variety of consumer-related market research techniques.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Explain the concepts and models applied in consumer behaviour;
- Describe and apply consumer behaviour concepts to marketing decision-making;
- Evaluate the importance of understanding consumer behaviour;
- Identify and apply the psychological and external variables that influence customer decisions;
- Explain and analyse various consumer-related market research techniques;
- Synthesise various theories and models of consumer behaviour and apply these notions to case studies; and
- Critically evaluate the use of consumer behaviour techniques.
On successful completion of this subject, students should have improved the following generic skills:
- Collaborative learning and teamwork, which should be developed through group work during tutorials and completing a collaborative, semester long assignment;
- Problem solving and critical thinking, which should be fostered through the tutorial program that requires students to critically evaluate and apply theoretical material to real world case studies;
- Oral and written communication, which should be developed through participation in the interactive tutorial program and completion of the assessment requirements;
- Critical and strategic thinking;
- Explanation of an argument or analysis logically;
- Synthesis of different theories; and
- Application of management theories to real world scenarios.