|Year of offer||2017|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 2|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject introduces students without previous composition tuition to strategies for thinking about and constructing original music. Students will write chamber music based on instruments available within the class. The subject will be divided into three 4-week modules, each beginning with a process of sketching and culminating in a short completed project to be performed in class.
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Develop practical strategies for writing original music.
- Develop an ability to structure self-imposed guidelines for composing new work.
- Communicate clearly to performers through professionally presented music notation.
- Rehearse and perform new music in a group context
- Respond critically and creatively to new music by others
On completion of this subject students should have developed:
- The ability to expand small ideas into larger realities
- The ability to absorb new ideas and respond to them in a thoughtful and personal way
- The ability to communicate effectively
- The ability to be resourceful and creative