|Year of offer||2018|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 3|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject covers knowledge of the ranges and characteristics of orchestral and band instruments and techniques for notation and combination of diverse instruments. The subject will involve practical performance of the assignments directed by students. There will be a short-answer test, covering instrumental ranges, transposition, terms, techniques, and brief notated exercises as covered in lectures.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- identify the ranges and capabilities of orchestral and band instruments;
- understand the timbral characteristics of orchestral and band instruments;
- transcribe and/or arrange simple pieces for diverse instruments;
- notate scores and parts for performance.
On completion of this subject, students should have the ability to:
- effectively reinterpret existing works;
- see new potential in old objects;
- communicate with groups effectively.