About this subject
- Eligibility and requirements
- Dates and times
- Further information
- Timetable (login required)(opens in new window)
Melbourne Dental School
Currently enrolled students:
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject offers students the opportunity to gain an understanding and practical experience in oral health research in their own individually designed and supervised research project. Students are required to complete a research project and to produce a written thesis under the guidance of their supervisor(s).
Research projects will be offered in a wide variety of oral health research areas allowing students to choose a topic that interests them.
Students will be enrolled in a combination of research project subjects (4A and 4B) to ensure they complete a 75 point research project by the end of their course.
Intended learning outcomes
In undertaking a research project and writing up a thesis of approximately 10,000 words and completing two oral presentations, the student will have demonstrated the ability to:
- take joint responsibility for their learning and to accept responsibility for moving towards intellectual independence;
- read and evaluate the literature and determine that a problem can be addressed;
- state the problem and develop study questions or hypothesis;
- design and conduct this study;
- develop methods, collect data and analyse the results using the appropriate methods;
- discuss the findings in light of the limitations of the study and in relation to previously published work;
- consider what further work might arise from the conclusion;
- express the study in correct English and present it in a form consistent with the acceptable scientific conventions for the particular discipline.
- Communicate their findings through oral presentation and written thesis.
Last updated: 10 November 2023