|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject is an elective subject within the Master of Public Health. It is designed to be taken by students who want to consolidate their public health training via an advanced professional work placement. Entry to the subject will be competitive and a quota will apply.
Students will undertake a supervised professional work placement with an appropriate organisation. Each practicum experience will be individually tailored and negotiated by the student, the host organisation and the Professional Practice Coordinator. Students will learn to apply their academic knowledge to real-world public health challenges, developing their specialist and professional skill set by contributing to the needs of an agency, institution or community organisation concerned with population health. The practicum experience will enable students to bridge the gap between the classroom and public health practice, whilst developing contacts with experts in their chosen field.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Apply, integrate and synthesise knowledge and skills acquired throughout the course to tackle real-world public health challenges,
- Analyse, evaluate and propose practical solutions to problems identified within the bounds of the project,
- Solve practical problems whilst working with potentially unstructured and incomplete information,
- Develop professional networks within a given public health context,
- Demonstrate and critically reflect upon key professional attributes sought by employers (such as communication and interpersonal skills, project management skills, team work and initiative) ,
- Clearly communicate findings and results in a professional public health context.
Upon completion of this subject, students will have developed skills in:
- Initiative, autonomy and organization,
- Oral communication,
- Finding, evaluating and using relevant information,
- Written communication,
- Working with others and in teams.