|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject examines cognitive, biological, and social developmental psychology in infancy, childhood and adolescence.
Contemporary theories as well as recent and historical accounts of development will be reviewed. Subject topics will highlight major themes that have shaped thinking in developmental psychology. These themes are:
- How do nature and nurture together shape development?
- How do children shape their own development?
- In what ways is development continuous, and in what ways is it discontinuous?
- How does change occur?
- How does the socio-cultural context influence development?
- How do children become so different from each other?
- How can research promote children’s well-being?
This subject will also provide students with experience in the collection, analysis and interpretation of developmental data in either an applied or laboratory setting.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students should be able to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
- Explain some of the factors that influence cognitive, biological, and social development
- Identify historical as well as contemporary accounts of development
- Identify ethical considerations of developmental research with children and young people
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of adopting different perspectives for studying developmental processes
- Demonstrate an ability to conduct a constructive peer review of an academic piece
- Write essays under exam conditions critically evaluating a proposition and/or proposing an answer using scientific evidence
- Analyse and interpret data relevant to developmental inquiry
Application of knowledge and skills
- Provide constructive feedback of an academic piece
- Use developmental theory and analytic techniques to understand how children and young people change
Students should further develop generic skills in:
- analysing research literature
- interpreting research data
- evaluating research methodology
- writing reports
Last updated: 17 February 2020