|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 3|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject has two components.
Personality: discusses major contemporary issues in the study of personality, and selected areas of contemporary research. Topics will be selected from the neuroscience of personality; personality processes; the emotional and motivational correlates of personality; personality change and stability; trait and type approaches to personality; the interface between personality and abnormal psychology.
Social Psychology: extends the understandings gained in the first two levels of the undergraduate program to consider more advanced theoretical and empirical work in the areas of individual, interpersonal and group processes. Topics will be selected from advanced research in attitudes and social cognition, interpersonal, small group and sociocultural processes.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the subject students will demonstrate knowledge of:
- research methods of personality and social psychology
- theoretical perspectives of personality and social psychology
- empirical findings of personality and social psychology
On completion of the subject students will have developed skills to:
- critically appraise research in personality and social psychology
Application of knowledge and skills
On completion of this subject students will be able to apply their knowledge and skills to:
- design and conduct studies on individual differences and social processes
Students will be given appropriate opportunity and educational support to develop skills to:
- critically appraise current knowledge and its internal structure
- critically evaluate the methods used to acquire the current knowledge
- critically analyse the current knowledge within the larger socio-historical and intellectual context
- appropriately interpret empirical data in light of the current knowledge and methodological considerations
- constructively plan a theoretical and empirical research project to advance knowledge