Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 1 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides students with a comprehensive introduction to Latin American societies, economies, and politics. It offers an overview of the region’s history and cultures, and relates these to practical challenges and opportunities for global integration. The subject examines Latin American responses to globalisation and engagement with international institutions. Emphasis is placed on evolving relationships between Latin America and other players in the region, including China, through case studies of national development, economic growth, and cultural exchange. This subject is taught in English.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- Understand the historical and contemporary significance of Latin America to global development;
- Appreciate the diverse histories, cultures and political environments of Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Comprehend the key issues and challenges facing Latin America in the context of 21st century world politics;
- Be able to critically analyse how foreign relations influence debates on Latin American development, economic growth, and cultural influence.
On successful completion of this subject, students will have:
- Gained understanding of how the cultures and histories of Latin America affect international relations;
- Developed a perspective of Latin America, past and present, within international diplomatic, political, and cultural contexts;
- Built the capacity to locate, critically interrogate, and analyse sources of information on contemporary Latin American politics and business;
- Learned how intensifying cross-cultural experiences, personal relationships, and human connections are shaping Latin America’s relations with the world;
- Gained a sense of how to apply academic knowledge of Latin America to professional contexts;
- Advanced academic skills for English language research, writing and communication.
Last updated: 23 October 2021