Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location in first half year 2021.
Year Long - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
The aim of the subject is to give the students the knowledge and skills required to carry out real life software engineering projects. Students will work in large teams to develop a non-trivial software system for an external client using agile software engineering methods. Workshops are used to explore the application of advanced software engineering techniques to student projects and are drawn from topics in: analysis and modelling, product and project metrics, design and technologies, product testing and measurement and validation.
Developing real-world software on time and under budget is a challenging task. Students will work in a team to solve a practical problem, applying sound engineering principles to the formulation and solution of their problem. Students will engage in the full software engineering life cycle from requirements engineering through to delivery, to develop a software solution for an external client.
This subject has been integrated with the Skills Towards Employment Program (STEP) and contains activities that can assist in the completion of the Engineering Practice Hurdle (EPH).
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Be able to design analyse, implement, test and deliver real-world software systems
- Be able to design software engineering processes appropriate to a specific problem or set of non-functional requirements
- Be able to research, understand and apply cutting edge computing technology to the solution of complex problems in software engineering
- Be able to effectively manage large teams utilising a variety of software engineering processes
- Be able to work with external stakeholders to develop quality requirements specifications
On completion of this subject students should have the following skills:
- Ability to apply knowledge of science and engineering fundamentals
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation, and solution
- Ability to function effectively as an individual and in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, as a team leader or manager as well as an effective team member
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to complex problems and to design and operational performance
- Proficiency in software engineering design
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities, and commitment to them
- Ability to conduct an engineering project
- Ability to manage information and documentation
- Ability to communicate effectively, with the engineering team and with the community at large
- Capacity for creativity and innovation
Last updated: 13 January 2021