|Look up fees
The subject focuses on community interpreting at the professional level on specialised topics in legal and health settings. Students are trained in essential skills such as note-taking, organising information and using the appropriate terminology and genre in the given context of the interpreting event. Through extensive practice in role plays and interpreting exercises, students will develop cross-cultural and advanced consecutive interpreting skills as a professional community interpreter.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, student should have:
- Demonstrate an understanding of quality interpreting between English, Mandarin and Cantonese as expected by NAATI for Certified Interpreter, Specialised Interpreter (Legal) and Specialised Interpreter (Health)
- Demonstrate skills in advanced consecutive interpreting between English, Mandarin and Cantonese on specialised topics in the contexts of legal and health settings
- Articulate cultural differences as demonstrated in the interpretation
- Evaluate and critically analyse interpreting events.
- Gain deep discipline knowledge: Students will be able to gain an insight into quality, professional interpreting as expected by NAATI for Certified Interpreter and Specialised Interpreter (Legal and Health)
- Develop professionalism, ethical and intercultural understanding in community interpreting practices in legal and health settings
- Develop bilingual competencies required of a professional Interpreter in dealing with specialised language used in legal and health contexts.
Last updated: 31 January 2024