This major will provide graduates with a depth and breadth of understanding in plant and soil science in the context of agricultural production systems. Students of this major will study subjects in soil biology and management, and plant health for growth and production. Students will also gain a detailed understanding of the drivers of plant industries and how management strategies can optimise yield and product quality.
This major will be available to students who commenced the B-AGR from 2016 onwards. The subjects comprising the third year of this new major are subject to review in 2017, and may be altered for 2018.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this major, students will have:
- A strong understanding of the determinants of soil and plant health
- An understanding of the structure and function of plant production industries in Australia and around the world, including the determinants of production and their implications for land management
- The ability to critically evaluate options, and formulate plans that will ensure long term industry and environmental sustainability
- An understanding of current issues facing plant production systems
- The skills to effectively analyse, and scientifically evaluate problems relating to plant production industries
- The ability to communicate and discuss scientific and industry information with relevant stakeholders
Last updated: 17 March 2020