|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject was formerly called Project Evaluation and Management.
This subject develops fundamental knowledge in the technical modeling and evaluation of projects’ feasibility, procurement strategies and outcomes, both in the public and the private sector. Topics covered include: capital formation; role of interest rates; assessing financial feasibility and the investment decision; project financing and financing instruments; technological strategies; profitability; socio-economic impact of projects; cost-benefit analysis; fitness for purpose; and revision of forecasts and financial decisions during project implementation. Students are required to apply this knowledge to real-life case projects to develop appropriate models for the analysis and evaluation of how the work meets objectives and expectations of the parties involved.
Intended learning outcomes
- To develop skills in project modelling and evaluation, making investment decisions and assessing project impacts and benefits against costs.
- To understand the financial, economic and other technical aspects of project evaluation;
- To develop analytical and problem-solving skills in relation to such aspects;
- To evaluate project feasibility and success;
- To facilitate decision-making on project investments.
On completion of this subject, students will have gained skills in:
- An appreciation of the scope and dimensions of professional roles;
- The ability to function effectively as either a team leader or member within multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- A commitment to, and fundamental appreciation of, the concept of successful teamwork and the ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely as a team leader or member of the group;
- An ability to communicate ideas, concepts and solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences effectively, clearly and concisely;
- An ability to carry out research and apply fundamental theoretical knowledge to problem solving in relevant disciplines.
Last updated: 3 November 2022