|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject aims to cultivate understanding of Arabic language in use, and to equip students with sound communication skills. We will consider key features of Arabic discourse and regional and social peculiarities. Students will engage in activities to enhance their sociocultural and pragmatic competence in Arabic to allow fuller participation in a range of Arab communication settings. Students will also learn to analyse written, online and face-to-face communication in a variety of social contexts, using a number of discourse analysis approaches.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- have an enhanced understanding of Arabic language in use;
- have been introduced to key features of Arabic discourse;
- have deepened their knowledge of the economic, political & cultural history of the peoples inhabiting the Arab World;
- have studied in some detail some salient issues related to the political, economic & cultural development of the countries of the Middle East & North Africa;
- have further enhanced their socio-cultural awareness of the Arab World;
- have further enhanced their socio-cultural & pragmatic competence in Arabic;
- have developed effective communicative skills;
- have become aware of current issues in the Arab World.
Last updated: 22 November 2023