You’re currently viewing the 2017 version of this subject
- One team-based written assignment on a clinical need of approximately 2000 words per student, due in Week 7 of the first semester (approximately 50 hours of work). ILOs 1,2,3,4,7 are assessed in this written assignment. Due in week 7 of first semester (10%)
- One team-based written assignment on the medical device of approximately 2000 words per student, due in Week 10 of the first semester (approximately 50 hours of work per student). ILOs 1,2,3,4,7 are assessed in this written assignment. Due in week 12 of first semester (10%)
- One team-based oral presentation comprising 15 minutes per student during Week 1 of the second semester (approximately 100 hours of work per student). This presentation should provide a detailed description from the team of a clinical problem, a broad market review, an engineering concept of 3-4 solutions, regulation and reimbursement strategies, and IP challenges. ILOs 1,2,3,4,6,8 are assessed in this presentation. Due in week 1 of second semester (20%).
- A technical oral examination of no more than 30 minutes duration per student. Technical oral examination includes a formal presentation of 15 minutes per student followed by questions from an academic supervisor and academic examiner. ILOs 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 are assessed in this examination. Due in weeks 10-11 of second semester (10%).
- A lay person oral examination of no more than 15 minutes duration, supported by static display materials (e.g. poster, computer demonstration, prototype). ILOs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are assessed in this examination. Due in weeks 11-12 of second semester (10%)
- A professional research report of 5,000 words per student, excluding appendices or supporting material that can include diagrams, tables, computations and computer code/output, requiring approximately 200 hours of work due in week 12 of the second semester. ILOs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 are assessed in this report. Due in week 12 of second semester (40%).