|Fees||Look up fees|
This is a geotechnical engineering elective subject in which student will be introduced to geo-environmental related topics including the assessment and design of waste disposal containment systems, and the investigation and remediation of contaminated sites. The subject also covers the design of shallow and deep foundations, bearing capacity solutions and foundation settlement prediction, as well as soil improvement and stabilisation. Deep basement excavation and earth dam designs are also featured. This practically oriented elective subject builds on the fundamental material learned earlier in ENEN20002 Earth Processes for Engineering and CVEN30010 System Modelling and Design, and fully integrates with the knowledge gained from the two core subjects CVEN90044 Engineering Site Characterisation and CVEN90050 Geotechnical Engineering. This subject is of particular interest to students intending to establish a career in geotechnical engineering; it is also relevant to a range of engineering disciplines in which a good knowledge of geotechnical engineering offers an advantage.
Landfill design and management including waste biodegradation and pollutants, liner/leachate collection systems, prediction of landfill settlement and computer-aided design; Contaminated land – site assessment and design; Deep excavation and earth dams – analysis and design; Shallow foundations - bearing capacity and settlement; Piled foundations - types, function, bearing capacity and settlement; Soil stabilisation and improvements.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Analyse for both the bearing capacity and settlement characteristics of foundations subjected to a variety of loadings
- Apply geotechnical engineering principles to solve contaminated sites and waste disposal problems
- Appreciate the design and construction considerations of earth dams
- Recognise the construction methods related to foundations and deep excavation.
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation, and solution
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to complex problems and to design and operational performance
- Ability to manage information and documentation
- Understanding environmental responsibilities and the need for sustainable development
- Critical thinking and judgement
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to function effectively as an individual with the capacity to be an effective team member.
Last updated: 2 December 2019