|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides the application of principles of solar energy engineering. A number of solar technologies and applications methods are investigated.
This subject uses a project based learning where students work in teams to design a solar system for a particular application considering environmental, social and financial constraints. Students learn to apply the principles of solar energy and design.
Knowledge gained in this subject will allow graduates to practice in the area of renewable energy industry. The subject complements other subjects offered in the energy theme of the Department such as Energy for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering.
- Introduction to Solar Energy in the energy economy; Fundamental heat & mass transfer; Radiation properties of materials; and selective surfaces
- Solar Geometry and solar angles; atmospheric effects and radiation prediction; and Solar radiation measurement
- Flat plate collectors design and performance characteristic
- Concentrating collectors design and performance characteristic; Evacuated tube collectors
- Solar System design methods
- Fundamentals of photovoltaic systems
- Solar process heating
- Solar drying, Solar cookers, Green houses and Solar stills
- Solar water pumping; Solar refrigeration
- Built environment applications passive and active systems
- Solar hot water and solar heat pump systems.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Identify the potential and limitations of solar energy as an alternative source of energy
- Analyse the distribution and variability of solar energy availability, and the limitations of solar energy devices
- Create solar energy system designs for sustainable energy solutions.
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to complex problems, design and operational performance
- Proficiency in engineering design
- Ability to manage information and documentation
- Capacity for creativity and innovation
- Ability to function effectively as an individual and in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, as a team leader or manager as well as an effective team member.
Last updated: 18 December 2020