|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject allows students to conduct a substantial, independent, original research project in a specified area of environment and sustainability. The project comprises a review of a body of literature, a review and discussion of methodology and/ or an evaluation of research or experimental protocols and some original research. The specific focus of the research project will be initiated by the student arising from their keen interests and consultations with other networks and academic staff with relevant expertise. Proposals for research projects must be submitted to the subject coordinator in the semester prior to commencement in the subject. Final approval for the topic lies with the subject co-ordinator.
The work will be equivalent to lecture and practical based subjects worth 50 points. The work commitment includes regular one hour meetings with supervisors where students report on progress, difficulties and research plans. Workshops conducted by the subject coordinator will deliver skill development in research practice including oral and written report presentation, with a focus on communication of research in interdisciplinary contexts.
Intended learning outcomes
- Undertake substantial original research on topic pertaining to sustainability or environment.
- Integration and application of disciplinary knowledge and skills to an independently generated research question and investigation.
- Analyze and synthesize salient features and important theoretical, methodological and empirical trends in published literature and data.
- Present research findings in clear, concise and persuasive written and verbal forms.
- Enhance their skills in critical thinking.
- Apply critical thinking skills and foundational research skills to develop and address a research question arising from a real world problem.
- Demonstrate planning and time management skills.
- Undertake research independently.
- Demonstrate a capacity to communicate research findings clearly, comprehensively and persuasively.
Last updated: 29 July 2022