|Look up fees
This subject will provide practical insights into the role of science and scientific thinking within business, and the successful application of this perspective, along with communication and business tools, to work environments. Students will be assigned to syndicate groups to address a practical industry challenge/issue which has been identified by industry. In addressing this task students will draw upon on their discipline knowledge and the skills provided in the professional tools subjects. On commencement of the project, students will be required to spend a specific time in the business setting and to then maintain regular contact with the business, as well as the project supervisor, across the duration of the subject.
Intended learning outcomes
The objectives of this subject are for students to:
- draw together their scientific knowledge and skills developed in professional tools to solve an industry-based challenge;
- gain experience in interacting with industry;
- learn how to work effectively in syndicate groups; and
- gain experience in how to present their solutions and ideas in a logical manner to their peers, academics and industry.
At the completion of this subject, students should gain skills in:
- leading and participating in teams and managing, persuading and influencing others;
- demonstrating the breadth of knowledge gained in an inter-disciplinary approach;
- applying advanced scientific analysis, communication and leadership in business and professional practice;
- the exercise of critical judgement and rigorous and independent thinking;
- accounting for their decisions and adopting a problem solving approach;
- high level written report presentation skills;
- oral communication and presentation skills; and
- time management and self-management skills.
Last updated: 3 November 2022