January - Off Campus
November - Off Campus
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will provide students with the opportunity to learn about primary health care within the context of a primary health program in a low income setting in India. Students will learn about the principles of health policy development and program management of communities in developing countries. An overview of the history, principles and practice of primary health care in developing countries, as well as the key elements and practical applications of project design, implementation and evaluation will be provided. Students will have opportunities to observe a world-renowned primary health care program including field visits with village health workers, learning with men's and women's groups and observation of village health worker training.
Intended learning outcomes
At the end of this subject the student will be able to:
- Outline the principles of community based primary health care;
- Describe the principles of working with communities to identify and address health needs;
- Describe the steps required to undertake a multisectoral approach to meeting a community’s identified health problem;
- Outline the steps required for the selection, training and support of village health workers;
- Construct a monitoring and evaluation framework for a PHC project.
Last updated: 29 July 2022