|Look up fees
This subject builds on knowledge from Measurement of Building Works (ABPL30040) and Cost Management (ABPL90312). It comprises further measurement, quantification for cost planning and documentation of building works and measurement of civil engineering works. Topics include: measurement of building works including substructure (foundation on sloping sites, stepped foundation, column bases and basement construction, non-linear strip foundation, raft foundation); superstructure; reinforced concrete structures including frames, columns, beams and slabs; stair in steel and concrete; doors and windows in timber and steel including ironmongery; glazing; floor, wall and ceiling finishing; painting and decorations; measurement of mechanical and electrical installation for simple buildings; measurement of civil engineering works including roads and simple railway work; piling; simple bridges and culverts. It also addresses unit rate estimating and project pricing in depth. The subject focuses on 2D and 3D electronic measurement and estimating with CostX 6.6 software as well as Building Information Modeling using Autodesk Revit Architecture Software. It will introduce students to 5D BIM estimating with CostX 6.6 software and project coordination with Solibri software.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Develop a Building Information Model (BIM) for a simple residential building;
- Extract quantities of building work items from BIM using take-off software;
- Apply the Australian Standard Method of Measurement to measurement, quantification and description of construction works;
- Prepare a bill of quantities for work items measured from drawings;
- Develop unit rate and price for measured construction works items; and
- Write specifications for building works and analyze the impact of specifications on project pricing.
- Effective participation as a team member.
- Written, verbal and visual presentation of ideas
- Correct use of technical terminology relating to quantification of building works and cost estimating.
- Information gathering and critical synthesis skills
- Electronic measurement skill
- Identification and familiarity with building components
- Understanding of construction documentation used in residential construction.
Last updated: 3 November 2022