|Look up fees
This is an advanced language subject for Honours students in Arabic. The level of study, content, and assessment in the subject will be determined by the Coordinator after placement testing. Based on the outcome of testing, students will either be placed in an appropriate stream of advanced language study or a customized course of study will be available, focusing on research skills in Arabic.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subejct students will:
- have further developed their Arabic language abilities, focusing on research skills necessary for thesis writing;
- gain a greater appreciation of textual styles and discourse as related to their area of interest in Arabic Studies;
- develop a deeper understanding of intellectual debates that have arisen on key topics in Arabic language and/or culture research.
- develop research skills through frequent and systematic use of the library and other information sources, the definition of areas of inquiry, and familiarisation with research methods;
- be trained in critical thinking and analysis through required and recommended reading, essay writing and tutorial discussion, and by assessing the arguments expressed in the reading materials;
- learn to think in theoretical and analytical terms: through lectures, tutorial discussion, essay writing and engagement in the methodologies of the humanities and social sciences;
- acquire an understanding of social, political, historical and cultural contexts and an international awareness of the world. Students will do so by developing critical self-awareness, contextualising judgements and knowledge, opening themselves to new ideas and new aspects of Arabic language and culture, and formulating arguments;
- be able to communicate knowledge clearly and economically, through essay and assignment writing, tutorial discussion and class presentations. Students will be trained to give attention to detail through close reading, textual analysis, and essay writing. The class presentations and tutorial participation will train them in public speaking and enhance their confidence in self-expression;
- learn to plan and manage their time through organising their workloads for required reading and meeting deadlines for essays and assignments.
Last updated: 3 November 2022