|Year of offer||2018|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 2|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject examines cultural and social tendencies in contemporary China, and shows how they have developed from the socialist system. It analyses the culture of China's different social groups - men, women, young people, workers, farmers, the elites, minorities, intellectuals and business people. It aims to give a sense of the contemporary Chinese cultural landscape and how this has been analysed by scholars.
Intended learning outcomes
- demonstrate familiarity with some major themes in modern Chinese culture.
- demonstrate an understanding of some of the basic dynamics of Chinese society.
- demonstrate an enhanced understanding of some cultural values and social structures reflected in language use.
- acquire skills to use scholarly analysis to understand contemporary social and cultural phenomena.
- be able to develop arguments from critical reading of academic materials and present them in writing and speech.
- be able to understand how relations of power affect social and cultural systems.
- acquire written communication skills through essay writing and seminar discussion.
- show attention to detail through essay preparation and writing.
- acquire time management and planning skills through managing and organising workloads for recommended reading, essay and assignment completion.
- acquire public speaking skills through tutorial discussion