|Look up fees
This is an advanced language subject for honours students in Chinese. It will develop students' ability to handle Chinese texts and oral Chinese over a wide range of subject matter such as official documents, academic articles, discussion papers and literary works. Students are expected to develop skills in translation, writing in Chinese and oral presentation.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who sucessfully complete this subject should:
- gain enhanced skills in the comprehension of written Chinese;
- become confident in the translation of a range of written Chinese material, including literary texts, official documents and academic articles, etc;
- improve their skills in the comprehension of spoke Chinese, including material on special topics; and
- be able to engage with a complex cultural system and develop heightened global awareness.
Students who successfullly compelte this subject should:
- develop research skills through frequent and systematic use of the library and other information sources, the definition of areas of inquiry, and familiarisation with research methods;
- be trained in critical thinking and analysis through required and recommended reading, essay writing and tutorial discussion, and by assessing the arguments expressed in the reading materials;
- learn to think in theoretical and analytical terms: through lectures, tutorial discussion, essay writing and engagement in the methodologies of the humanities and social sciences;
- acquire an understanding of social, political, historical and cultural contexts and an international awareness of the world. They will do so by developing critical self-awareness, contextualising judgements and knowledge, opening themselves to new ideas and new aspects of Chinese culture, and formulating arguments;
- be able to communicate knowledge clearly and economically, through essay and assignment writing, tutorial discussion and class presentations. They will be trained to give attention to detail through close reading, textual analysis, and essay writing. The class presentations and tutorial participation will train them in public speaking and enhance their confidence in self-expression; and
- learn to plan and manage their time through organising their workloads for required reading and meeting deadlines for essays and assignments.
Last updated: 3 November 2022