|Fees||Look up fees|
The aims for this subject is for students to develop an understanding of approaches to solving moderately complex problems with computers, and to be able to demonstrate proficiency in designing and writing programs. The programming language used is Java.
Topics covered will include:
- Java basics
- Console input/output
- Control flow
- Defining classes
- Using object references
- Programming with arrays
- Polymorphism and abstract classes
- Exception handling
- UML basics
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Apply the concepts of object-oriented design to the solution of computational problems
- Read and understand a Java program of small to medium complexity
- Write a Java program of small to medium complexity, which contains a number of classes with console user interface
- Understand basic concepts of computer science: data structures and algorithms
- Understand the process and methods of software design and implementation using Java programming language.
On completion of this subject students should have developed the following skills:
- Understand major concepts of object-oriented programming and design including classes, objects, encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism
- Design, implement and test a program for small and medium size problems in the Java programming language.
Last updated: 18 December 2020