|Fees||Look up fees|
The aim of this subject is an improved understanding of educational practice and theory, leading to deeper comprehension and innovative practice. Through an examination of their practice students will develop sophisticated conceptions of how teaching and learning support knowing and understanding. We begin by thinking through, writing about and sharing our personal experience of teaching and learning situations. These teaching and learning situations will be analysed and synthesised through an exploration of educational philosophies, particularly those concerned with experience but also those dealing with the relationship between knowledge and power. This process will enable interpretation and evaluation of the various ways our conceptions of teaching and learning support knowing and understanding. This will result in students’ increased capacity to improve teaching practice, leading to more effective learning, knowing and understanding in the interests of student equity.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Explore and describe their own and other’s experience of teaching and learning;
- Analyse understandings of practice via theory which informs their comprehension of how teaching and learning support knowing and understanding;
- Interpret and evaluate the ways in which various conceptions of teaching and learning support knowing and understanding via a synthesis of practice and theory;
- Design improved and innovative versions of educational practice leading to more effective learning, knowing and understanding.
- Analyse and evaluate the relationship between power and knowledge in educational contexts.
- Synthesise and then evaluate the ways in which powerful knowledge affects issues of equity and social justice in educational settings.
- Critical reasoning and thinking
- Problem solving
- Evidence based decision making
- Creativity and innovation
- Self-reflection, career awareness and lifelong learning
- Active and participatory citizenship.
Last updated: 3 November 2022