|Look up fees
This subject develops a rigorous foundation for pursuing research in nano-optics. The subject discusses recent developments in nano-optics together with its fundamental underpinnings. The coverage of this material is complemented by exposure to simulation tools. Students undertake a project on a topic of their choosing.
Coverage of selected topics from the following:
- Computational electromagnetics;
- Photonic crystals;
- Optical properties of metal nanostructures;
- Optical tweezers;
- Foundations of far-field and near-field optical microscopy.
Intended learning outcomes
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs):
On completion of this subject, it is expected that the student will be able to:
- Design micro- and nano-optical devices (in which the interaction between light and nanostructured materials plays an important role)
- Analytically model micro- and nano- optical devices
- Perform simulations of micro- and nano- optical devices
- Conduct research in micro- and nano- optical devices.
Last updated: 3 November 2022