|Look up fees
The subject has a strong practical component with a five-day field camp during the week before the mid-semester break involving student-led environmental monitoring. There is also a semester long project to design and implement an environmental monitoring program supported by weekly practice classes.
Component skills taught in this subject:
- Conceptualising environmental responses
- Selecting and using environmental measurement techniques (considering scale issues)
- Analysis of environmental monitoring data.
This subject is a critical foundation for a career for environmental engineering but is also relevant to civil and other engineering disciplines where environmental impacts of engineering projects must be addressed to ensure sustainable engineering solutions.
Selection of measurement techniques and consideration of measurement scale, conceptualising environmental responses to human activities, environmental sampling and monitoring design, systematic review of causal evidence, statistical analysis of environmental effects, risk assessments for occupational health and safety during environmental field programs.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Identify the practical challenges of conducting environmental observations
- Design an environmental monitoring program to meet the requirements of a client, including conceptualising the environmental system under investigation
- Select environmental sensors, sampling theory and field techniques
- Use and interpret environmental measurements
- Use a range of environmental instrumentation
- Demonstrate team and communication skills.
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation, and solution
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to complex problems and to design and operational performance
- Ability to communicate effectively, with the engineering team and with the community at large
- Ability to manage information and documentation
- Capacity for creativity and innovation
- Ability to function effectively as an individual and in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, as a team leader or manager as well as an effective team member.
Last updated: 3 November 2022