|Look up fees
The aim of this subject is to provide students with an understanding of the chemical structure of important food components of plant origin. The chemical and biological properties of these components are also explored.
This course is supported by a practical laboratory program, which emphasises analytical and instrumental techniques.
Intended learning outcomes
- To be able to describe the structure, composition, nutritional and functional properties of food components
- Have a practical understanding of the chemical analyses used to identify and quantify food components
Upon completion of this unit, students should have developed:
- A profound respect for truth, intellectual and professional integrity, and the ethics of scholarship
- Capacity for independent critical thought, rational inquiry and self-directed learning and research
- An ability to drive, interpret and analyse social, technical or economic information from multiple sources
- Skills in observation, critical analysis and report writing
Last updated: 3 November 2022